"Buttered, smashed, and mashed. It's over for you."
—Sal Spudder, Death screen
Sal Spudder is a wrinkly, brown, anthropomorphic potato.
Sal Spudder is said to have a rough and tumble attitude. Sal Spudder seems to like stuffing dirt and worms into his mouth, as spitting them out is his only way of attacking. Based on his constant facial expression while fighting Cuphead and Mugman, he could be grumpy at all times.
At the start of the fight, Sal Spudder bursts out of the ground in an irate manner.Sal Spudder starts off the stage by shooting four projectiles. The first three are dirt balls, while the fourth is a worm. It's also worthy to note that the last projectile can be parried. Sal Spudder will not actively attempt to aim at the players, and will just fire obstacles in an attempt to hurt them. The speed of his projectiles in a specific difficulty is always the same, but the there will be three different rate at which he fires, starting with the slowest to the fastest, then loops back to start the cycle once again.
In Simple mode, Sal Spudder will only shoot three projectiles, two dirt balls, and a worm. They're also slower. In Expert mode, the projectiles are faster.
When Sal is defeated he will rub his cheeks with a painful look on his face as he disappears into the ground.
Sal Spudder is heavily based on the multi-eyed potato from the 1938 Fleischer Brothers animated short Tears of an Onion. His name came from the word "spud", which is a perfect ventage-sounding term for potato.
- Sal Spudder is one of the first sample bosses of the game for several reasons:
- The most simple and only has one pattern of attack.
- It's also one of the earliest bosses fought in the actual game.
- He was one of the few sample bosses playable in the 2015 demo.
- His game over screen quote is a reference to many recipes that involve potato including, as stated above: buttered potato, smashed potato, and mashed potato.