"Buttered, smashed, and mashed. It's over for you."
—Moe Tato, Death screen
Moe Tato is a wrinkly, brown, anthropomorphic potato.
Moe Tato seems to like stuffing dirt and worms into his mouth, as spitting them out is his only way of attacking. Based on his constant facial expression while fighting Cuphead and Mugman, he could be grumpy at all times.
At the start of the fight, Moe Tato bursts out of the ground in an irate manner.Moe Tato starts off the stage by shooting four projectiles. The first three are dirt balls, while the fourth is a worm. It's also worthy to note that the last projectile can be parried. Moe Tato will not actively attempt to aim at the players, and will just fire obstacles in an attempt to hurt them.
In Regular difficulty, the speed of the projectiles will change over time.
In Simple difficulty, Moe Tato will only shoot three projectiles, two dirt balls, and a worm. They're also slower.
In Expert difficulty, Moe Tato will shoot four projectiles, which are faster.
When Moe Tato is defeated he will rub his cheeks with a painful look on his face as he disappears into the ground.
- Moe Tato is one of the first sample bosses of the game for several reasons:
- The most simple and only pattern of attack.
- It's also one of the earliest bosses fought in the actual game.
- He was one of the few sample bosses playable in the 2015 demo.
- Moe Tato is a pun of "Potato".
- His first name (Moe) can be a reference to the actor Moe Howard, an American actor and comedian best known as the leader of the Three Stooges, a comedic group that has starred in movies in the 1930s and also in the next three decades (1940s, 1950s and 1960s).
- Unlike Moe Howard, Moe Tato is not the leader of his trio, but rather (most likely) Psycarrot.
- His game over screen quote is a reference to many recipes that involve potato including, as stated above: buttered potato, smashed potato, and mashed potato.